Total Pageviews

Friday, August 24, 2012

#23: Hawaii, Maui Marathon

I survived another hot, hilly, and challenging marathon!! At several points during this race, I asked myself, "Why am I doing this??!!"...It was hard to look past the torture of this marathon to remember why I started running marathons.

So you're thinking, how can a marathon in Hawaii be that bad??  Well, it was 26.2 miles of highways, hills, and humidity...no shade!  Thankfully, the volunteers were great about keeping the aid stations fully stacked with ice and they even gave us sponges to stay cool, however it was almost impossible to stay cool on marathon day.

I am very thankful for the runners I shared 26.2 miles with in Maui, my goal was just to finish and not to be concerned about time.  I am not a fast runner in the heat and humidity! My best times have always been in the cooler weather.  I love temps in the 40s-50s to run in!!  I am so happy to have another state and marathon under my belt and so excited to be almost at the half way mark for the states.  It's hard to believe so much time has gone by since I first began this journey and how much it has helped me cope with the loss of my best friend, my dad.  Thanks everyone for following my journey to complete a marathon in every state and DC!! I can't wait for the next one!! There is no finish line.




We did it!



No comments:

Post a Comment