Total Pageviews

Monday, January 10, 2011

Epic marathon failure.

Well, I just got back from Orlando and wasn't able to run the Disney Marathon.  The first day that I arrived there with my aunt and cousin, I was feeling just fine and suddenly became very sick.  I had aches, a fever, sore throat, a cold, and a terrible cough.  My aunt, who is an RN told me that I needed to go to an urgent care clinic.  I went to a nearby clinic and the doctor told me that I most likely became so sick because of all of the germs on the airplane.  So, here I am back in Massachusetts with a sinus and upper respiratory infection.  The doctor prescribed me codeine cough syrup and biaxin for 10 days.  I am feeling a lot better now, but there was no way I was going to force myself to run 26.2 when I could barely get out of bed.

I was able to make the best out of it, and laugh with my cousin and aunt, but it did really stink to go to Florida and not be able to run.  I am itching to go back once I feel better and run a marathon.  I am thinking about the ING Miami Marathon at the end of the month, but first I have to feel better!!

I have officially started to raise money for the Center for Grieving Children in Portland, Maine.  Here is the link to my donation page: http://www.gifttool.com/athon/MyFundraisingPage?ID=1226&AID=1432&PID=181086  

Thanks so much everyone for all of your support.  I'll be back on the roads hopefully soon!!

4 comments:

  1. Bummer you got sick, but you were smart not to run it. I ran Outer Banks when I was pretty sick a few years ago, and I came home with pneumonia. So it took me weeks to get well instead of days, and I was pretty miserable. I hope Miami is in the cards for you - I think that'd be a fun one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks! I know the feeling though. Whole family had stomach flu over Christmas and then we all had what you described this past weekend. I ended up with ear infection and pink eye. It's going around. I'm going on the Airborne immune defense plan. Off the shelf immune booster. Has helped me stay sick free in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the previous poster about Airbourne. A week before each marathon I run, I start a Zicam/Airbourne regimen - both are immune boosters and help ward off sicknesses. I swear by it. I am a teacher and spend my day surrounded by germs, so I take all of the help I can get!

    On the other hand, I hope you decide to run Miami - I heard that is an awesome race. I'm so sorry about what happened to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry this one didn't work out as planned, but good for you for making the smart decision. There's always the next race! Good luck in Miami.

    ReplyDelete